Creamy Dill Pickle Soup
Hello, our dear loyal guests. Thank you for your patience as we send you my mother’s famous creamy dill pickle soup recipe. Some of you may not know, but we make three versions of our dill pickle soup. The one you always get when you come into either location is made with “Polskie Ogorki” pickles and creamy potatoes and is vegetarian. With enough time and when ordered in advance, we can also make the same one for you dairy-free. Additionally, this soup can be made in Eastern European style with Kiszone Ogorki and with a chicken base using Cornish hens.
Below is our in-house recipe. Please adjust it as your cravings guide you. Our dill pickle soup we serve is vegetarian. We make the broth from scratch, and it takes several hours to make. Although using already made vegetable stock is possible, it does not taste as good. This creamy and comforting soup pairs perfectly with a loaf of freshly baked bread on the side for dunking. We highly recommend it…but yes, definitely optional.
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 large finely diced yellow onion
- 1 large peeled and grated carrot
- 1 large finely diced celery rib
- 4 large (200g) finely chopped Polskie Ogorki pickles.(If you have the Kiszone from the Italian store these are the best, if not the regular will have to do) shred them but do not squeeze out the juice.
- ½ cup (120ml) pickle juice from the jar
- 3 peeled (400g) finely cubed yellow potatoes
- 5 cups vegetable stock low sodium or unsalted(homemade is best)
- 1 cup 250ml cream (33%)
- ½ cup fresh finely chopped dill
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 large all spice seeds
- salt and pepper to taste